Update on Corona Virus 3/12/20
Post date: Mar 12, 2020 10:41:42 PM
The purpose of this letter is update you on state and local decisions that have been made to help control the spread of Corona Virus.
At this time, there are no known cases, or suspected cases, of Corona Virus in Wallowa County. We believe the risk to our students, faculty, and staff remains low, but it is our responsibility to you and our greater community to be proactive in our efforts to encourage social distancing as a means of preventing the spread of illness. At the same time, we are committed to continuing the academic excellence and vital work of our school district.
On Wednesday, March 11, the Oregon Health Authority, under direction of Governor Kate Brown, issued the following measures too help control the spread of the Corona Virus:
- “Large gatherings (250+ people) are suspended through April 8th. This applies to organized public gatherings, not stores, malls, etc.
- Schools are not being closed, but non-essential school activities such as parent meetings, allowing spectators at sporting events, and field trips are cancelled.
- The Governor emphasized that school closure will be a last resort.
- The Governor emphasized that these measures are being taken to slow the transmission of COVID-19 and 2, and to preserve hospital capacity for the most severely impacted individuals.”
We are in the process of determining which school events meet the criteria for cancellation during the timeline provided by the Governor. At this time, the following school events have been canceled or postponed between now and the end of Spring Break, March 27th:
- State Conventions - FCCLA, FBLA, FFA
- District Band & Choir
- All middle school basketball contests
- All high school sports contests. Sports teams will continue to practice, but remember if you are not at school you can not practice.
We continue to work with our local health authority to closely monitor developments regarding the COVID-19 outbreak; the health and safety of our students is at the forefront of our decision-making. We will send updates as often as needed – watch for future announcements around closures, additional cancellation of school events, or other relevant information.
Our highest priority is the well-being of our students and staff, and the well-being of anyone who visits our school campus.